Due to high BP, had blood clotting in brain. Operated successfully, had kidney failure and sugar. On dialysis

General Surgeon
due to high blood pressure, my dad had blood clotting in the brain.the operation is successful & clotting also removed.. he is in unconscious stage from last 24days.. he had multiple problems bofore operation such as kidney failure, sugar,high bp...still now,ventilator is used....dialysis is going said, creatinine and urea is high... when he gain conscious...
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Time cannot be predicted.

Detailed Answer:
HiXXXXX XXXXXXX ! I am Dr Shareef answering hour query.

I hope, you know your dad has got multiple organ problems. The lung function must have been also at risk due to chronic smoking, and the liver function might have been also jeopardized due to the alcohol intake. The condition of the kidneys are known to us.

One good aspect is that the ventilation has been removed from third day onwards.

Diabetic patients usually have un-suspected micro vascular disease and we are not sure how far the vessels of brain in your Dad's case have been affected by this. No doubt, the immediate danger from the blood clot is removed, but the long term effect of these complications along with the complications of kidney failure and high blood pressure remains.

Under these conditions, it is difficult to say for anyone how long it will take for him to gain consciousness.

I am sure it must be worrying for you to go through the condition of your Dad being unconscious for so long after the surgery. But as you know about the multiple problems your Dad is having, I would suggest you to be more practical in your expectations on the prognosis of your Dad. However, miracles do happen, and as a doctor, I would not give up hope any time. The team of doctors treating him are the best judge of his condition, and can give you a fare approximate idea of the prognosis.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to ask.
Follow-up: Due to high BP, had blood clotting in brain. Operated successfully, had kidney failure and sugar. On dialysis 21 minutes later
is he have the chance to gain conscious..
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is unpredictable but hopeful

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for such a fast reply. This shows your obvious natural concern for your Dad.

Well ! Although I do not want to dishearten or discourage you, as I have already mentioned earlier, it is not possible to predict by certainty as to whether he has a chance to gain consciousness or not whatever magnitude the chance may be. This can only be judged (approximately) by various clinical examinations, investigations, and opinion of all the doctors of the team treating him.

I hope this will guide you in further course of your action.

Thanks and take care.

Dr Shareef