Due to have elective sigmoid colectomy . Have headache and cold. Post nasal drip and sore throat. Can surgery be cancelled?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am due to have an elective sigmoid colectomy on Thursday. I have woken up this morning with a temperature, and symptoms of a head cold. Bunged up nose, post nasal drip and sore throat. Is my surgery likely to be cancelled?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It depends on anaesthesia doctor and surgeon

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have studied your case.

As per your symptoms there is possibility of viral common cold.

Anaesthetist will access for your general health and will decide for surgery.

Usually in case of elective surgery if patient is having infection, surgery are postponed till infection is subsided.

Till time you can start decongestant medication and if required antibiotic.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Due to have elective sigmoid colectomy . Have headache and cold. Post nasal drip and sore throat. Can surgery be cancelled? 22 hours later
Thank you. The surgery has been postponed due the risk of a chest infection post anaesthetic

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its ok ,now maintain health

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Now take proper medicine and care to avoid infection.