Due for knee replacement and having severe pain in lower leg. Taking Oxycontin and no relief. Cause for pain?

Hi, I am having a knee replacement in 3 weeks time but the last few weeks I have been getting very severe pain in my lower leg and then yesterday after playing lawn bowls I have been suffering very badly from complete leg pain, so bad that I just dont know what to do with myself. I take strong pain killers, Oxycontin but they are having no effect. What is causing this please?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please consider ointments and pain reliever sprays

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

If you are scheduled for knee replacement surgery in 3 weeks time, there must be significant changes as seen in severe osteoarthritis as seen in your knee joint.

Oxycontin is a powerful pain killer and should be working in your condition. I suggest you talk to your doctor about dose optimisation for your pain. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. Do not increase your dose, take the medication more frequently, or take it for a longer time than prescribed. Properly stop the medication when so directed.

If your pain is still persisting, I would suggest you use ointments and sprays also. The pain is caused due to stimulation of fine nerve endings in the bony/ cartilageneous surfaces of your knee joint. You may have to restrict your physical activitites slightly for a few weeks.

I hope this helps,
Any further queries are welcome.
Dr. A Rao Kavoor