Ask a Urologist   »  

Dryness and pain in the penis, lost the pigment, discomfort while try to move. Cure?

Hi the head on my penis is really dry, and has lost all pigment. There is some light pain, maybe it's better described as a slight discomfort when I move the skin around the head of my penis. Do you have any idea what this may be, and how I can cure this? What would possibly cause this?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 4 hours later
I understand your concern (mainly regarding sexually transmitted diseases).
Dryness of penis is normal to a great extent. This is more so in circumcised penis. It does correspond to the nature of your skin, dry or moist or oily. Normally, the penis doesn't have any special pigmentation.
But if you are talking about change in its color or change in color of the glans (shiny tip) of penis, it often gets altered with infections and local hygiene. It would be worthwhile to comment in details after examination or having a look at the color / pigment loss that you are trying to describe. It is normal to have some or no hue (black - grey - pink) over penis and glans in a non-uniform manner. White discoloration or abnormal red spots or sores are likely to be related to infection.
Pain is definitely a symptom of infection, more commonly candidiasis or a fungal infection (balanitis, balanoposthitis), often due to poor hygiene with secondary bacterial infection. Other symptoms that may be associated with pain are pain during prepuce movement, pain during micturition, pain during intercourse etc. You would need to consult your prescribe appropriate therapy with antibiotics or anti-fungals.
Maintaining proper sexual hygiene and using adequate protection (e.g. condoms) against sexually transmitted infections is the most important step towards preventing such infections.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries .