Dry, unproductive cough. Chest x-ray clear. Sneezing when coughing. Taking Lupicof. How do I proceed?
User rating for this question
Thanks - I've had an allergic type dry, unproductive cough on and off for many years. I have seen allopathic ENT specialist, homeopathic doctors and even one giving both types of treatment! Sometimes medications help for a while, but then the cough returns. Chest xray is clear. It also seems to be nose related as whenever I get coughing fits, I end up sneezing as well. Presently taking Lupicof once a day which is helping but do not want to continue long term. How do I proceed??
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
In your case, the main possibility remains that of an allergy. Here, it would be accompanied by some itching in the throat, cold. This often occurs in response to something that you are allergic to. This could include dust, pollen, pollution or any other material.
I would suggest the following:
a. Keep your environment as scrupulously clean as possible
b. Wash all your bed linen in hot boiling water
c. Change your pillow covers every night
d. Take steam inhalation atleast twice a day
e. Take tablet cetrizine 10 mg once a day when the symptoms get really bad
f. Talk to your physician about using a drug called sodium cromoglycate. This drug will help prevent these symptoms.
g. Try and identify what you are allergic to. A simple way is to keep a record of when your symptoms get worse and what changes in your environment at that point of time.
Unfortunately, there is no permanent cure for allergies and we must either prevent them or take care of them on an as is where is basis.
You should also speak with your physician about using Lupicof syrup on a long term basis. This contains codeine and it is not something which should be taken on a long term basis.
Hope this helps.
I would be available for follow ups.
People also viewed
- Will alot of lifting affect unborn child
- Ent hole in throat
- Symptoms of dry unproductive cough
- Dry unproductive cough in pregnancy
- Pregnant with enterobacter aerogenes
- Dry unproductive cough tight chest
- Diagnosis of dry unproductive cough
- Lgm question of ent
- Length of time of ent procedures
- Afb sputum test in liver cirrhosis
- Dry unproductive cough causes
- Does the morning after pill affect the contraceptive pill
- Will norethisterone affect and the morning after pill
- Sperms enter through mouth while sucking
- Ent singapore itchy throat