Dry tongue,burning,soreness.Diet and medicines?

Question
Hi
This is XXXXXXX i am having dry tongue last one year,now a days i am unable to bare. its like burning and sore. Please suggest me good medicines. I am drinking lot of water but noe use.
Please provide good suggestion about diet for Dry tongue.. and what kind of precautions i have to take...
Thanks
XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Dry mouth and tongue, medically referred to as xerostomia, is a condition in which the production of saliva is inhibited, resulting in dryness and discomfort. It can also be due to infection of salivary glands or their decreased secretion due to fibrosis.

Other possible causes include anxiety, dehydration due to poor fluid intake, breathing through the mouth excessively, intake of alcoholic beverages, certain medications, damage to the salivary glands due to trauma, radiation therapy, or simply as a natural result of aging or smoking.

Some remedies which might help you to minimize your discomfort -
1. Sucking on sugar-free candy or chewing sugar-free gum
2. Drink lots of water which will help to keep your mouth moist-this you are already trying.
3. Brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste, using a fluoride rinse, and visiting your dentist regularly
4. Avoid breathing through your mouth if you do
5. Using a room vaporizer to add moisture to the bedroom air
6. Using an over-the-counter artificial saliva substitute
7. Avoid alcohol and smoking.

In addition to these, you need to find the cause after examination by your physician and get it treated accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Dry tongue,burning,soreness.Diet and medicines? 11 hours later
I am driking lots of water and i went to dentist, they told i am having enough saliva. Please let me know the causes of dry mouth. Please sugest which doctro i have to go...for examinations and what kind of examination i have to take..

Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

Dry mouth or tongue is a personal perception. There are no tests to check the extent of dryness. As I had already mentioned in my previous mail, the most common causes are side effect of various medicines used for cough and cold, depression, allergy, diarrhea, parkinsonism, etc.

Other possible causes include anxiety, dehydration due to poor fluid intake, breathing through the mouth excessively, intake of alcoholic beverages, damage to the salivary glands due to trauma, radiation therapy, or simply as a natural result of aging or smoking.

It would be better to get examined by a Physician to rule out the common causes and to be treated accordingly.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you an early recovery.