Dry skin, swollen ankle, red and sore bumps, back pain. Am I going to make it?

Im a 55 year old female, ive been noticeing my skin has been getting so very dry and my lower legs are the worse. yesterday I noticed my right leg below my knee was horribly swollen. my ankle area was as large as my calf. also my skin was really smooth oddly so. also this area is red and has little bumps on it. ans so very sore to the touch!. I was in a car accedent 3 weeks ago I dont beleave I was injured allthough, Ive been have extreme pain in my knee on the inside of my leg. it feels like some one has a red hot pocker inside. ive also had a pain in my back on the right side under my ribs. feels like a side ache in my back. well what do you think am I going to make it?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

The pain in the knee with ankle swelling is likely to be due to an injury you suffered three weeks ago. It might have caused a ligament tear in the knee joint.

It can also result from stress related minor capsular inflammation with decrease in the joint lubricants.

You will benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you, and order a Knee MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:

1. Give enough rest to your knee and leg- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS (muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Avoid weight bearing on the knee while it is painful.
Pain on the right side under the ribs could be a muscular pain or due to a intra abdominal pathology. Proper examination by a physician will help in diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.