Dry skin, pimples, bump on chin, darker lips. Using benzoyl peroxide. Medication to get rid of skin issues?

Hi Doctor,

My skin color is fair, and I have dry skin. Below are my skin problems:

1. I have few dark spots on face mainly because of the bad habbit of pinching pimples. I stopped doing this and tried many creams but, they are not going away.

2. I also have a small bump on chin which appears like white head, but it didn't go away with black head removing stick. When ever I try to squeeze it off, it leaves a XXXXXXX on my face but doesn't go. It is not growing and is there on my face from past 1 year. I do not have any pain also.

3. Other than this I have minor erections on skin, these are not normally noticable unless you have a close look, but I can feel that my skin is not even.

4. My skin in the corners of lips is darker.

Please suggest suitable medication to get rid of these skin problems especially the first two which are irritating me from a long time.

Missed a point. I have been using Benzoyl Peroxide Gel BP 5% on my face from past 3-4 months. It reduced pimples, but didn't work on the bump on skin :(
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Your complaints are suggestive of acne, which is common in your age group.
I would suggest you continue using Benzoyl Peroxide Gel BP 5% as it will reduce chances of new pimples coming up.
For dark spots, you can use tretinoin gel 0.025% at night time. Do not use this in the day as it reacts with the sun. Also a kojic acid containing cream can be helpful. In this regard, chemical peeling with salicylic acid /glycolic acid can be helpful. This needs to be done under the supervision of a dermatologist.
I am afraid nothing much can be done about color of lip corners. I would suggest the following measures for improving the dark spots and the lip color.
a.     Improve your nutrition. Eat one fruit everyday. Take plenty of fluids.
b.     Maintain sunprotection with sunscreens and physical sun protection (umbrella).

Hope I've answered your query. I will be available for followups.

Dr Sudarshan