Dry skin on penile shaft, rubbed raw by masturbation. Want to make sure this is not herpes

Jul 2012

Hello doctor. I have a bit of an embarrassing question. My skin on my penile shaft has been dry lately and I do believe I have rubbed the skin raw on it in one place from masturbating with my fingertips. I have done this in the past but never on the backside where this raw spot is. I just wanted to make sure this isn't something like a herpes lesion as I have since received oral sex while having this. There was never a bump, never any itching etc and I have never had actual intercourse before in my life, only oral. This is also the only lesion I have. Again I am almost 100% certain it is from rubbing the skin raw but I just wanted to be sure it doesn't resemble something else. Thank you for your time!!
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX Nothing to be embarrased about. I have read your description of the lesion & viewed the photograph you sent. It does appear to be a friction related ulceration..doubt there is any herpetic element. Having said this & you have the remotest self-doubt, please go in for a serum IgG/IgM test for herpes1&2. This will be confirmatory one way or the other. Locally you may apply a hydrocortisone-fucidin combination cream lightly twice/day for 2-3 days & it should clear up sans any other intervention. Like you am 100% sure, there is nothing else to worry about but do take care to practice safe sex next time irrespective of a noticeable lesion or not. Cheers & Good luck!