Dry skin on left foot. Is it blood circulation condition? How can it be resolved?

I have extremely dry, very scaly skin on the top of my left foot, my left knee and my left thigh. Is this a skin condition or a blood circulation condition and how can I resolve? Note that my left foot/ankle sometimes swells (edema), but I take Hyzaar for high blood pressure which seems to affect the swellinf of the left foot and ankle.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The dry and scaly skin on the foot, knee and thigh is likely to be due to eczema or psoriasis. Both are skin conditions and is not likely to be related to any blood circulation disorders.
A direct examination by the dermatologist is required for diagnosis.
Psoriasis presents as thick, white, silvery, or red patches of skin and the exact diagnosis can only be confirmed after a biopsy skin.
In the meantime, I recommend you to use general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area. Avoid scratching or handling the region with bare fingers.
You can also apply 1% hydrocortisone cream on the affected area for symptomatic relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.