Dry skin on chest with heart palpitation. Done ECG. Having anxiety, asthma

I have very dry skin that is hard to push along with my finger (it feels like another layer of skin on top) on my face and chest. I also have heart palpitations and pain in my chest and back.

I have recently (across the past few months) had a 24 hour ECG monitor attached (which required no further action. The scan showed 175 eptopic beats over 24 hours, also a range between 57 and 135 BPM)

I also had a. Heat XRay around two months ago which resulted in a diagnosis of early stage COPD, on that XRay it showed that my heart looked absolutely fine.

I have suffered palpitations frequently on an almost daily basis.

I also suffer with Anxiety, Stress, and Asthma.

Obviously I am concerned about how I am feeling and what I am experiencing and thusly am seeking advice.

I want to add also, on September 30th I suffered the loss of a Family member to whom I am extremely close, as I result I have consumed a great deal of alcohol. I think, in the past week I have collectively consumed approximately 36 or more units of alcohol (Lager between 1.7 and 2% volume per can) this is not a regular thing for me, and my intention is to now stop drinking like that before it becomes a problem.

Kind Regards,

Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see below

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
1. The First thing in palpitations is to determine the rhythm of heart at time of palpitation. If you had your Holter (24 hours ECG) scan after onset of palpitation and you had similar palpitation on day of holter monitoring, then possible cause is ectopic beats. Otherwise you need to get a fresh holter to look into the rhythm. Second step is to get a cardiac ultrasound or ECHO to rule out a structural heart disease.
2. If the rhythm is ectopic beats only (most common cause of palpitations) and there is no structural heart disease, there is nothing much to worry. These can be controlled by avoiding precipitation factors and if required by a single medicine.
3. If you ever had loss of consciousness, blackout, unexplained fall or severe dizziness due to palpitations, do see your doctor on priority.
4. There are so many reasons in your narration which can cause palpitation (mostly by premature contractions or ectopic beats). These include anxiety, salbutamol medication, alcohol consumption, stress, COPD and asthma itself. All these may be associated with palpitation by one or other mechanism.The other precipitants are coffee, tea, fever etc.
5. Stop taking alcohol, get your asthma medication reviewed and see your cardiologist.
Hope this helps. Feel free to write , if there is anything else.