Dry skin, food allergies, acne, hormonal imbalance, benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin cream

Hi, recently my skin stopped producing oil and begin to dry out and break out at the same time, I have been tested for food allergies and have come off of all the foods that im intolerant of. My digestion has improved but my face keeps drying out sooooo bad, the only thing i can use to exfoliate it is a little baking soda every 4 days. I am drinking lots of water including lemon water. I am eating a highly raw diet with fresh fish (salmon) organic beef, fresh juices, and i take coconut oil. I recently found out for some reason my ESTROGEN levels, Progesterene levels and DHT levels were sky hight which my doctor said is contributing to my skin problems. What can i do to fix this......I am miserable with this dry tight acne face......especially when 3 months ago i had soft oily skin
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 2 hours later

Thanks for your query,

Your acne and skin dryness could be related to the underlying hormonal imbalance. You can try the following to relieve symptoms. Apply a topical anti-acne preparation such as Benzoyl peroxide and Clindamycin cream. Cleanse your skin not more than twice a day with a gentle cleanser. Moisturize generously with an oil-free moisturizer, preferably one containing ceramides. Moisturize several times during the day.

If these measures do not help in a few weeks, I would advise you to see a dermatologist as some oral prescription medicines for acne may be required. Do carry your hormone test reports along. You may also require medications to correct your hormone levels which can only be prescribed after physical examination and further testing.

Meanwhile make sure you eat a healthy diet.Include a lot of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, fruits, etc, as they are XXXXXXX in antioxidants, and avoid oily food and spicy food. Keep drinking plenty of water/fluids daily as they keep the skin hydrated and fight acne. Stress reduction and regular physical activity help in maintaining the right hormone levels and staying healthy.Also make sure that you get enough sleep daily.

Hope I answered your query. I am available for follow ups as well.