Dry skin and Eczema on lips, forehead and knuckles. Taken Cortizone injections and Desonide cream. Permanent cure?

I have had dry skin and excema for several years and mildly since youth. I am 48. The condition has worsened to my knuckles and also around lips and forhead. I have had several topical creams which only help slightly. I have had total of 3 cortizone injections over 3 years which each helped and completely cleared up all symptoms for about 1 month and gradually it would return. I am understanding that what i have is related to auto imune system.
I am wondering if a treatment of more periodic cortizone shots or pills in smaller dosage would keep my irritation down without causing any long term damage to bones, auto immune etc.
creams used: desonide .05% used 1 to 2times
eucerine cream:daily and often
If the shot works for a short time and compleatly wipes out the problem, why can there not be a permanant remedy?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 10 hours later

Dryness as referred by you can result from many conditions and when left untreated can give rise to eczema.

Dryness is seen in most cases in winters and if one takes care of his skin from the very start of winters, symptoms can be avoided. Topical steroid creams helps by reducing inflammation and relieving symptoms. Resistant cases such as yours, we do give systemic (oral or injectable) steroids in low doses. Long term use of systemic steroids is always associated with side effects which can be concerning.

Hence in order to maintain the good effects achieved by topical steroids, we use topical calcineurin inhibitors like Tacrolimus which are steroid sparing agent and have lesser side effects. You can try this after discussing with your prescribing doctor.

In managing some medical conditions such as eczema and dryness, it’s always better to avoid them. Use good moisturizes especially in winters is always beneficial.
“Prevention is always better than cure in such conditions and first line will be topical steroidal creams”.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

Dr.Rohit Batra