Dry scratchy throat, nausea, lack of appetite, stomach pain, fever. What could be the reason?

For 2 daysI have a dry throat scratchy throat but it's not sore, and am drinking constantly through out the day. No appetite and feeling nauseous and upper stomach pain and very unwell with a temperature through out the day. NO colds symptoms otherwise in good health. Not sleeping very either
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 25 minutes later
Thanks for the query
It looks like you are suffering from pharyngitis.
I would suggest the following:
1. Salt water gargling of throat three times daily. Using betadine gargles would be better, if you can tolerate the taste.
2. Chewable lozenges will reduce the irritation
3. An anti-histaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once a day can be used. Alternatively, you can use Syrup Benadryl 1-2 tsp in the night time to relieve the irritation and cough. Do not use this in the day time as it can cause drowsiness.
4. Give adequate rest to your voice
5. Avoid cold food and beverages
6. Protect yourself well while travelling

I hope I have answered your query. If you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Dry scratchy throat, nausea, lack of appetite, stomach pain, fever. What could be the reason? 7 hours later
I didn't have a sore throat as indicated. I have a dry throat and thirsty all the time. Salt water I feel would dry this out even further
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 hours later
Thanks for reverting.
I would like to clarify that in viral infections it is common to have a dry and itchy throat. If the infection becomes worse, it turns sore.
Salt water gargling will bring down the inflammation and certainly will not make your throat more dry. An anti-histaminic will also help relieve your symptoms.
Please take chewable lozenges for the dry throat like I had advised you earlier. They will definitely help.
I hope I have answered your query.
I wish you good health