Dry scaly skin, cuts on palms, soles, icthyosis. No family history. Methods to eradicate this?

Dr XXXXXXX - my skin problem is related to my 3.5 years old daughter. can i share it right now.
She has dry scaly skin and cuts on palms and soles. It appears Icthyosis to dermatolosgist whom we have consulted. This is our first baby and no history of the diease in my paternal side or my wife side. Can you guide us to know if we can get this cured through Alopathy or not? Also let us know if there is any possibility of the diease getting eradicated at the later stage of her life? My Name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX from Gurgaon, Haryana India. can i request you to call me at 0000 if possible to share views.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later
Ichthyosis is a skin disease where the skin of extremities look like dry and scaly just like fish scales and runs in families though it might affect anybody.
The history pointed about your daughter that she is having cuts in palms and soles suggests that it is palmoplanter keratoderma, another heriditary disorder where such lesions are seen.
One needs to keep area moisturised and topical steroids and keatolytics are used to clear the skin.
Oral Vit- A suuplementation can also benefit most patients.

Dr.Rohit Batra