Dry right throat with recurring tonsil stones on left. What could be the reason?

Hi! I've had a dry throat one side off and on for 7 months now. I also have a large vein on the right side of my throat. The right side of my throat is dry with recurring tonsill stones on the left. It all started after I ate a large thanksgiving dinner at work. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Dry throat is a common sensation, one that is often related to a range of medical problems that cause irritation or swelling in the back of the throat. Occasionally, for what ever reason, this irritation may affect one side of the throat more than the other (for example, one tonsil may be more swollen than the other).
One of the most common causes of the sensation of dry or irritated throat is sinus congestion or nasal allergies. This is because these lead to the dripping of mucus down the back of the throat, which causes a persistent irritated sensation.
 Similarly, bad acid reflux, or heartburn, may cause dry throat because the acid escaping from the stomach washes up the esophagus into the mouth, irritating the tissues in the back of the throat. 
Finally, infection of the tonsils, caused either by bacteria or by one of several common viruses, can lead to swelling of the tonsils, which may give a dry throat.

Tonsil stones are said to occur when dead skin cells,debris or bacteria collect and calcify on tonsils.They are most common in young adults who have history of recurrent throat infections.
Normally no treatment is required if your tonsil stones don't cause any problem or symptom.However if the stone is large or you get symptoms like bad breath,pain and discomfort during swallowing,sore throat or swollen tonsils then
The stone may be removed surgically and sometimes if the stone is very big and impacted,you may have to undergo tonsillectomy.

Consult a ENT doctor and get evaluated properly for further management and treatment.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.