Dry patches on face. Can I use lacto calamine hydration lotion?

Hi Doctor,

Now im living in Bangalore,before that im fair and my skin is proper now it became dry and i have dry patches on face and i became dark im planning to use lacto calamine hydration lotion on it good or it has any side effects.please suggest some good product.
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My suggestions

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

The dry patches and the darkness seem to be some fungal infection and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation as a result.

My suggestions are as follows:

- Please do not use lactocalamine on the face as it may worsen the dry patches

- Sulfur lotion can take care of the dryness as well as the dark pigmentation. It is usually prescribed by a dermatologist and is prepared by some pharmacies. Thus you will need to get in touch with a dermatologist.

- Until you are able to see a doctor, use facewash that are meant for dry skin. I personally like Ponds pimple facewash that has ingredients to balance the skin quality like salicylic acid, etc. You can also try Cetaphil cream on the dry patches.

-Also get tested for iron deficiency anemia by getting blood tests done. The tests can include hemoglobin, serum iron levels, MCV, MCHC, TIBC, etc. If anemic then take a hematinic.

- Take nutritious diet and sufficient quantities of fruits and vegetables in a day.

- Drink pure water and hygienic home-cooked food that has been prepared in pure water.

- Take multivitamins and calcium supplements for one month

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Dry patches on face. Can I use lacto calamine hydration lotion? 3 days later
now im using himalaya neem face it good for dry skin??
i heard that the lotions with sulfur has many side effects? still i can use that or suggest me any good product with name of the product please.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi again

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Himalaya neem face wash is an ayurvedic preparation and its not in my capacity to comment on it. Though I have gotten mixed reviews from my patients about it. It works for some but not so for others.

Sulfur lotion causes mild skin peeling along with having anti-bacteria and anti-fungal properties. Thus it can take care of the dry skin and dark skin as well. It is quite safe.

Otherwise you can try cetaphil lotion to keep the skin hydrated.
I already listed a brand name for a facewash in my previous reply. It should also help.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Dry patches on face. Can I use lacto calamine hydration lotion? 7 hours later
Thanks for your suggestions.
on my face i have lots of white heads also.can u please suggest me how to get rid of from them.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 37 hours later
Hi again

Whiteheads are similar to blackheads, with only a few differences. Whiteheads cannot be cured, but can be reduced with some topical medications.

Mostly my earlier suggestions should also help to reduce them.
Along with them, preparations that contain tea tree oil should help. Ayurveda products meant for dry scalp should work equally well for dry skin and white heads on face like Brahmi bhringaraj taila. One of these two can be applied overnight over the whole face and scalp (taking care not to put them in the eyes). Wash it off in the morning. One application should reduce the white heads remarkably. If needed, re-apply in 10 - 15 days.

Dr Vaishalee