Ask a Dentist   »  

Dry mouth, feeling of burned tongue, swollen papillae

Dentist, Prosthodontics
My husband had a stroke 2 weeks ago. Since that day I noticed a very dry mouth and a feeling like I had burned my tongue. 2 weeks later y mouth is not as dry but my papillae are swollen and still feel like they were burned - my mouth feels as if I had chewed sand.
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 34 minutes later

After reading your symptoms, I feel you may have developed a condition known as Burning mouth syndrome. The symptoms include scalding/burning sensation on tongue sometimes lips and palate as well.

It may occur with nutritional deficiencies, dry mouth, metallic taste in mouth, numbness on the tip of the tongue, oral candidiasis, dentures, allergies as well as even menopause. The exact cause is unknown but it is said to be triggered by anxiety, stress and depression.

The treatment to this condition is symptomatic i.e.: treatment can be rendered according to the cause such as stress reduction, treating existing medical conditions, supplements for nutritional deficiencies.

You can reduce the discomfort by following certain steps:
-sip water frequently
-avoid spicy foods
-avoid harsh mouthwashes, citrus fruits
-avoid alcohol and tobacco products
-brush your teeth regularly
-dentures (if present) need to be cleansed with antifungal denture cleansers
-some patients get relief by sucking on ice chips

As you have mentioned that the dryness of mouth has reduced, the condition may get over on its own. As in your case it got triggered due to stress, avoiding anxiety will help further.

If you have any more queries, I’ll be happy to help.