Dry mouth and pain below the ribs. Urinalysis showing blood. No fever, vomiting. Taking Adderall. Are the symptoms due to side effects or cancer?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i am currently taking 10mg of adderall 2x's a day have been on it since august over the past month I have been having a nagging dull pain just below my rib cage, could it be related to the adderall? I have recently had done a urinalysis which showed only mod blood, no lukes or nitrates, it grew 10,000 after 24hrs. could these be related or be a symptom of anything else? no urinary frquency ,pain or odor. im worried about things like pancreatic cancer, liver cancer etc. what acute processes could this be??? also no fever, vomiting or diarrhea, drinking and eating well. my mouth is extremley dry from the meds, could I be dehydrated? scared!!!
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Adderall can cause common side effects that include
1 anorexia, dry mouth, chronic thirst,
2 sleeping disorders , chronic headaches or migraines, emotional changes.
3 Nausea, vomiting, heartburn,pain in the stomach,
4 Chest pain,high blood pressure , sudden dizziness , feeling of weakness
Since you have no other symptoms it could be a sideeffect of adderall itself especially on gastrointestinal system.
Most cancers don't present acutely and are usually associated with generalised weight loss, malaise,loss of apetite along with functional derangement of organ involved.
Your urine report does suggest some pathology if there is blood in urine and there is a possibility of renal stones which can also cause pain in abdomen though lower down .
So nothing can be said conclusively without a thorough examination and baseline investigation like blood counts, liver and renal profile, ultrasound abdomen etc.
I would advise you consult your doctor for confirmation of diagnosis and apropriate management.
Though you dont have any worrisome symptoms early diagnosis may prevent further progression.