Dry mouth, acidity, heaviness in stomach, snoring. Taking Amlong for hypertension. Need medication

Good evening

I have the following problems.
1. My mouth becomes very dry whenever I sleep.
2. Acidity and gas problem

3.Heaviness in stomach

I have been taking Amlong 5 mg for over 2 years to control BP. Last BP reading 140/90 on 23rd march. I am 64 years old. Please prescribe medicines.

Posted Mon, 11 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 hours later

From the issues that you have mentioned it seems that you are having some digestive problems like more acid production, weak digestion.

First of all without going straight away from treatment it is better that you go for some basic investigations like

1. Blood counts
2. Ultrasound of abdomen
3. Stool examination
4. Liver function tests

These tests will help us in excluding any disease like gall stones, ulcers in G.I.System and other infection problems.

In mean time please do following which should help.
1. Avoid fried food, fermented foods
2. Do not sleep for at least 2 hours following major meal. Still if have problem sleep with bricks under the head end of bed or pillows below your mattress. The idea is to keep head end up.
3. To not take any analgesic without proper advise
4. Do regular light exercise like walking
5. Control your blood pressure.
6.Do not over eat or skip meals.

Please consult your physician for definitive treatment.

Snoring must not be ignored.

There are various reasons for snoring. You need proper examination by a chest physician. In severe cases you may need to go for sleep study to have proper diagnosis.

Before any form of treatment suggestion for snoring you need to have proper work up.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing you all the best for the time to come.

Follow-up: Dry mouth, acidity, heaviness in stomach, snoring. Taking Amlong for hypertension. Need medication 16 minutes later
I have forgotten to write about constipation. I have this problem too. I will undergo
the tests suggested by you. I will be grateful if you could prescribe medicines for MOUTH DRYNESS AND ALSO FOR ACIDITY.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 26 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

My advice would to visit a doctor first and have proper diagnosis.

For constipation:

Please take more of fibre in diet.
Drink plenty of liquids
Take Isabgul in form convenient to you. You can raw as available in routine stores or can have flavoured available in medical stores.

For acidity you can take

>Antacid liquids like mucaine gel etc. after meals
>The normally prescribed drugs for acidity are proton pump inhibitors like rebeprazole,omeprazole etc.

I will prefer that you do not start taking medicines randomly. Ideally one needs to take full course of 4-6 weeks depending upon the problem.

The dry mouth in most of the cases is related to digestive problems.

Follow-up: Dry mouth, acidity, heaviness in stomach, snoring. Taking Amlong for hypertension. Need medication 2 hours later
Thank you very much , Doctor.

I will come back to you after undergoing tests as suggested by you for treatment.

I donot want to consult any other doctor. Is it Okey , Doctor.

Good Day

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 31 minutes later
Hi,Good to hear from you again.

I appreciate your trust in me.

Still no investigation can replace personal physical examination and it is not possible any medicines on this platform.

Wishing you best of health.