Dry flaky skin on elbow and foot. What could be causing this?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi. My daughter has a patch of dry flaky skin (red underneath) that is quite sore - on her elbow and her foot. They both began as a small blister - and she now has one on her other foot. Any ideas..?
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us,

This patch of dry flaky skin that your daughter is having could be eczema or psoriasis.
However I would be in better position to answer, if you could upload an image of the concerned area. You can use this website's uploader to upload good quality images of the affected areas.

Hoping to hear from you soon...

Follow-up: Dry flaky skin on elbow and foot. What could be causing this? 34 minutes later
Hi. She's not ever had eczema or psoriasis although my son had it when very young.
Our GP has taken a sample and sent it off, but I was hoping there is a quick answer/solution.

Attached is her elbow. It has been like this for 3+ months.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Unfortunately, I haven't received any uploaded image. If you are having problem uploading it, you may send it to YYYY@YYYY and mention ATTN "Dr. Kalpana Pathak" in subject column.

Anyways, eczema usually begins as a small itchy lesion that increases in size. It's very itchy and slight oozing of fluid can be seen in early stages. Slight scaling is also seen and the lesion is red underneath.
In psoriasis a thick elevated red skin lesion is seen and is covered with thick white silvery scales.

I can only confirm the diagnosis, once I can see the image of concerned area.
In the meanwhile, you might apply a steroid based cream over the lesion. If the lesion is sore, oozy with fissuring an antibiotic steroid cream will be required.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be further query, I would be happy to assist you.

Follow-up: Dry flaky skin on elbow and foot. What could be causing this? 38 minutes later
Photo Attached.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 33 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for sending the image.

It seems more like an eczematous lesion and applying a steroid cream would help.

If it’s itchy, taking an orally antihistamine tablet or syrup like cetrizine would relieve the itch. As these are prescription medicines, a doctor's follow up is always recommended.

Hope that answers your query.