Dry, flaky skin in eyebrows, red blotches on nose, itchy at night, cannot put makeup.

Nephrologist
Question
dry flaky skin in eye brows, eye lids and dry scalk that looks like dandruff- red blotches on side of nose, chin, and side of neck- head is itchy especially at night, and my face is a total mess- cannot even put on makeup.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 31 minutes later

What you are suffering from is most probably severe form of seborrheic dermatitis which is otherwise known as dandruff.

Please consider the following advises

1. Keep your scalp clean; wash your hair 5 times a week with an anti Dandruff shampoo. Please consult your dermatologist for a non commercial one. A good home remedy would be to apply egg yolk and curd with a dash of lime over your scalp, leave for 20 minutes and then wash it off well.
2. Avoid applying hair products especially the ones that has to be kept overnight.
3. Change your bed sheets frequently, at least once a week.
4. Do not share your comb.
5. Avoid eating oily food.
6. Protect your hair while travelling.

Once the seborrheic dermatitis comes under control your face and eyebrows will improve as well.
Please do follow what I have jotted down for you, it will certainly help.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer.

I wish you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Dry, flaky skin in eyebrows, red blotches on nose, itchy at night, cannot put makeup. 15 hours later
i have been doing this to no avail- i am the one that said i have seborrheic dermatitis- the red blotches were not addressed... the ichiness in the ears etc.....

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later

Thanks for replying.

As I have pointed out earlier that red blotches on the face and itchiness in the ear are part of seborrheic dermatitis and is not a separate skin problem. The flakes cause an allergic reaction when they fall onto your ears and face causing the itchiness and red blotches.

Since you are telling me that you have tried all my measures but problems are still persisting, could you please tell me what shampoo and medicines you are applying to your scalp right now?

For the scalp you will have to use a shampoo with ketaconazole and for the face and to stop the itchiness in the ear, XXXXXXX milk with calamine lotion will help. Wash your face with glycerine soap only.

Please get back to me with the questions I have posed.

I wish you good health.

Follow-up: Dry, flaky skin in eyebrows, red blotches on nose, itchy at night, cannot put makeup. 1 hour later
IR/ANTIDANDRUFF SHAMPOO
KETOCONIZOLE CREAM FOR FACE
HYDROCORTIZONE CREAM
FLUOCINOLONE ACETONIDE FOR SCALP
KETOCONIZOLE SHAMPOO FOR FACE AND HAIR
TRIMCINOLONE ACETONIDE FOR RASH SIDE OF NECK

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 21 hours later

Thanks for the reply

You are on the right treatment for it. It is only a matter of time and religious following of the regime.
Please XXXXXXX your doctor and see if you can add the following
1. Gentamicin cream for the face. It is most often given in acne but in severe seborrheic dermatitis it has shown to help

2. Long term antibiotic of tablet azithromycin. It has to be taken 3 times a week for 6 weeks. It has shown good response to treatment. It will also reduce scars and marks by preventing secondary infection

3. You can also try the home remedy I have written down in my first reply.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you a speedy recovery