Dry cough, unproductive, excessive clear saliva, stressful work situation. Want to lose weight also

Pulmonologist
Question
I have a dry cough and it has been present for approximately one month. It was completely unproductive and not exercise based. Over the last two days I have developed excessive clear (and non-plug) saliva. I have to admit to being very unfit at present given a highly stressful work situation and which, thankfully, should ease once I finish up in two weeks and return to optimum fitness levels. I will need to lose one dress size as well. I appreciate your time.
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 28 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:
1. You seem to be having dry cough since one month.
2. I would like to ask a few questions:
a. Do you have associated breathlessnes, fever or chest pain?
b. Have you ever experienced whistling sounds during breathing?
c. Do you have complaint of burning pain in abdomen? Do you have associated problems of acidity?
d. Is the cough more in day or night time or is it uniform through out?
e. Do you have any associated allergies, especially to dust exposure, perfumes, eggs, etc.?
f. During times of stress does your cough increase?
g. Do you smoke?
h. Apart from multiple sclerosis have you taken treatment for any other disease in the past like diabetes, hypertension, tuberculosis, etc.?
i. Have you seen a doctor (especially Pulmonologist) for the above complaints or have been investigated for the same eg. chest xray, ct thorax or pulmonary function tests?

Please do let me know the details so that I can advise accordingly.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Dry cough, unproductive, excessive clear saliva, stressful work situation. Want to lose weight also 28 minutes later
Hi and thanks. No smoking, no abdominal burning, no acidity, no whistling sounds. I get seasonal hay fever (spring) and during which I get a cough and no sneezing or runny eyes I haven't seen a doctor as yet. It is more during the day that I have the cough. As indicated in my initial enquiry, I have been under stress with a poor work environment however I have resigned from my role and it will be interesting to see whether a good old fashioned rest and good food and exercise clears it. If not, obviously I will make a time to see a physician. I should add that I was a nurse for over ten years earlier in my lifetime.

Thanks for your time.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 54 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up information.

Its really good to know about your past nursing career. Before answering the query, I would like to advise that stress is no solution to any problem and hence please try to avoid it as far as possible, I understand that its easy to preach than to practice. Its nice that the stress factor is no more in your life.

After going through your follow up query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Considering your history of seasonal hay fever, there is a possibility of cough variant asthma leading to the dry cough in your case.

2. You need a detailed evaluation by a Pulmonologist which includes clinical evaluation, chest xray, pulmonary function test and blood investigations like absolute eosinophil count and serum IgE levels.

3. Depending on the results , you may need inhalation therapy along with oral medicines( bronchodilators and preventive medicines). A short course of steroids may also be required.

4. Also you should consider getting annual flu shots.

Thus please get yourself evaluated by a Pulmonologist as soon as possible.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Dry cough, unproductive, excessive clear saliva, stressful work situation. Want to lose weight also 2 minutes later
Thank you very much. I appreciate your feedback. d

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
You are welcome.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB