Dry cough, taken paracetamol. Had tonsillitis, cold and fever. What medicines or cough syrup to take?

My wife got tonsils followed by cold. After a day it was followed by mild fever and cough in throat. Yesterday night she is having bit relief in cold and fever but she is still having dry cough.

Here are other details, if required:
Age: 25
Weight: 63
Height: 5'6" inches
Medicines Taken: A tablet containing a salt same as that of paracetamol and cold. Another one for throat cough.

Please advocate me on medicines or cough syrup.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 27 minutes later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Does she have pain while swallowing?
2.) Does she get headches?

Your History suggests she has Acute Tonsillitis and there is nothing serious. A 5 day course of antibiotics, along with paracetamol and antiallergic medicines will help cure the infection. The medicines cannot be prescribed just on history without proper physical examination.

Kindly get her examined by a ENT specialist so that he/she may examine her and treat with proper dose of medications.

In addition to this, let her follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Drink plenty of fluids.
3.) Do salt water gargles several times day.
4.) Get adequate rest.
5.) Stick to her treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish her Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.