Dry cough, taken levosit M, deriphylin,chest xray, WBC andECG normal, now wet cough, fever and joint pain

My wife is suffering from dry cough from last 4-5 months. in first two months she was unable to sleep at night due continous dry cough .she was taking levosit M medicine & got relief . she was given deriphylin tablet & expotarant which did not suit her . when medicine was stop she again started the problem of dry cough .

The x-rays of chest was taken which was normal .
CBC blood report WBC,polymorphs,lymphocytes,monocytes,basophils,platelet count in normal range ..only Absolute Eosinophil count 535 / cu mm . ECG normal .

Now Instead of dry cough she is having wet cough .. and little fever ..joint pain .
She is taking medicine now monlevo , calpol,dregud,Raxinga 150. please suggest ..her voice is little bit change also .

Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 17 minutes later

I can understand your concern for your wife, as the duration of cough is long and it is quite annoying also.

The cough has become wet because now possibly some lower respiratory tract involvement might be there.

There are various reason for cough for long time. Some of the common ones are:

1. Tuberculosis-most common.
2. Allergic bronchitis.
3. Asthma or related problem.
4. Acid peptic disease.

Now as her X XXXXXXX and other reports are normal, tuberculosis possibility is less. She can go for sputum examination for definite diagnosis. As her eosinophil counts is high, it is suggestive of allergic bronchitis. The tablets that she is taking is already having anti allergic drug in it, still she is having problem.

I will also suggest to get the Absolute Eosinophil count done to rule out Eosinophilia.

The best thing for you to do is, take her to chest disease specialist (Pulmonologist) and get her examined. He may advise pulmonary function test, this test will determine the capacity of lungs and can provide very vital information.

Apart from this she also needs to undergo allergic testing for common allergens, which can be done via blood test. This kind of tests check sensitivity to various common allergens which could be responsible. If the allergen is found out, the things become easier to treat.

Please avoid strong smell, smoke, perfume, pets etc, which are common agents which can lead to this kind of cough. Wash the pillows covers and bed sheet frequently. This will definitely help.

In the mean time, please continue the tablets already prescribed.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to answer any follow up query that you have.

Follow-up: Dry cough, taken levosit M, deriphylin,chest xray, WBC andECG normal, now wet cough, fever and joint pain 40 minutes later
i had consult with Pulmonologist he had not suggest me for pulmonary test .
he said it may be due to throat infection,acidic & allergic
how long treatment should continue for allergy ..
yes she having problem with strong smell ,strong perfume etc
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 12 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

It is possible that after examination chest specialist might not have felt need for pulmonary function test.

First of all suspected allergen has to be removed.After that depending of the complain she need to continue treatment.You should go for blood counts again and see what is the level of allergy count at present.

Normally anti allergic tablets are needed for 6-8 weeks.In case she continues to have problem,she need to see a chest physician again and as advised earlier allergy testing becomes mandatory.

At times susceptibility to allergen remains for long time ,so precautions are must for long time.You can also take opinion from an throat specialist.

Ask her to take light diet,avoid fried foods,cold drinks and strong smell.She need to give rest to her voice and speak in low tone for time being.

Wishing her speedy recovery.