Dry cough, pea sized lump in armpit. Have blocked sweat gland. Tetralysal recommended?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi, I'm a 54 year old man, 5ft 9ins tall, 13st 10lbs in weight, no real medical history to talk about. I went to my Doctor last Thursday 11am. I'd had a very dry cough since boxing day and I noticed a pea sized lump under my left armpit. He said I'd had a viral infection and the lump was a blocked sweat gland that had become infected. He prescribed a Salbutamol inhaler CFC 200 dose for the cough and Flucloxacillin 250mg take one, four times a day. the following day the lump had grown to the size of a golf ball and very hard to the feel and was very sore. I went back to show the doctor and he doubled the dose of Flucloxacillin to 500mg four times a day. The weekend passed and I had taken 29 capsules with no change, so I went back to see the doctor again today(monday) He had a look at my lump and said it looked like an abecess, the lump is still very hard (solid to feel) and red. He said carry on taking the Flucloxacillin and also prescribed Tetralysal 300mg take one a day. Having looked up Tetralysal, its seems that its for skin disorders, acne etc. can you please tell me if this raght for me to be taking.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 36 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to make the following comments:

1. Your episode of dry cough as per the history seems to be due to respiratory infection.

2. If you have associated cold symptoms, you need to take an antihistaminic tablet and nasal spray for quick relief and control of cough under prescription from your physician.

3. The swelling if suspected to be an abscess needs antibiotic treatment which has been correctly started in your case by your physician.

4. However if the swelling does not respond to antibiotics and continues to increase in size , then a surgeon's opinion should be taken regarding the swelling and also the diagnosis can be confirmed by FNAC(Fine needle aspiration cytology).

5. Do get all lymphnodes clinically examined by your physician.

6. Regarding the cough, it should have decreased after taking medications. If there is no relief of the cough then you need to visit a pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated for your chest symptoms. Investigations that may be required are Chest xray & blood investigations.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Dry cough, pea sized lump in armpit. Have blocked sweat gland. Tetralysal recommended? 16 hours later
THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE, but what about the prescrided TETRALYSAL300mg. . . . Should I be taking these aswell ?

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 37 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes, you need to continue TETRALYSAL 300mg as prescribed by your physician. It is a tetracycline group of antibiotic and will help reduce the swelling, if an infectious agent is the suspected cause.

Regards.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB