Dry cough, cold, headache. Prescribed Almox, Kuff-Q and Levosetride. Is Levosetride a steroid and can I take it?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor., am suffering from severe dry cough, cold & headache for the last 4 days. My physician gave me Almox-500, Kuff-Q & levosetride 5.. I heard somewhere levosetride is kind of steroid. Please suggest me whether i can use the above or not.. During the cough, am feeling severe pain in my head.
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you have described are the features of Allergic rhinosinusitis.

Allergic rhinitis is a common condition characterized by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens. It is characterized by sneezing, nasal discharge and nasal congestion.

During allergic rhinitis there is inflammation of the nasal mucosa causing blockage of the sinus openings leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions in the sinus. Also, there is trickling of the nasal secretions behind the throat causing throat discomfort and cough.

The common triggerers of allergy are the pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. The bitter truth is, there is no cure for allergy, and only the preventive measures when followed can get rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks. Also, avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.

Levosetride is an antihistaminic meant for reducing allergy and not a steroid, you can continue with that medicine. Please do not use Kuff -Q it will worsen your problems.

My advice to you:
1. To use saline and steroid (such as fluticasone or momentasone) nasal sprays.
2. Do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day
3. Use a mucolytic such as bromhexine and ambroxol.
4. Change the antibiotic Almox 500. Instead, use a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime.
4. Drink plenty of warm water.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Dry cough, cold, headache. Prescribed Almox, Kuff-Q and Levosetride. Is Levosetride a steroid and can I take it? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you very much for the advice.

Requesting you please clearly mention the medicines I need to buy. Am referring to your advice points No: 1,3 & 4.

Thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back

I am extremely sorry, according to the online health consultation rules we are not permitted to prescribe medicines to the advice seekers without examining the patient. But, we can mention to you the type of medicines you need to take. Please consult your local doctor for the prescription of the same.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon