Dry cough, back pain, no fever. Taking Robitussin Cough Gel. History of asthma. Non smoker. What can I do?

Question
Hello! I am a 26 year old female. I am a non-smoker. I have a history of asthma. My question is I have a nasty dry cough, every time I am almost asleep it wakes me up. My back is killing me from coughing so much. I do not have a fever or any other symptoms. What can I do to help with this cough? I have been taking Robitussin CoughGels. I do not have medical insurance. Thanks
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 46 minutes later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, a dry, hacking cough that persists may actually be a symptom of asthma. Chest tightness and difficulty breathing can also be asthma symptoms. The cough may first appear after a cold or an throat. In some people with asthma, exercise triggers coughing. Other people cough at night while others cough at any time of day without a trigger. Coughing due to asthma usually does not respond to cough suppressants, antibiotics, or cough drops but will respond to asthma medications. If you have a cough that does not get better on its own within 3 to 6 weeks, will recommend you visit your clinician for your asthma medications to be modified. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks

Follow-up: Dry cough, back pain, no fever. Taking Robitussin Cough Gel. History of asthma. Non smoker. What can I do? 3 hours later
Can I use a cool mist humidifier to help me?

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 16 hours later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, yes you could use the humidifier to reduce the dust or air particles which could be an associated risk factor, but if there is no associated benefit then will recommend to re-visit your clinician for asthma medications to be modified to control your cough. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.