Dry cough and sore throat after surgery. How to make it stop?

dry cough and sore throat after surgery. What do I do to make it stop?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Radhika 18 minutes later

The most common causes for dry cough and sore throat will be allergy, cold or due to intubation or anesthesia used during surgery. You have got this immediately post surgery.

When endotracheal intubation is done during surgery for delivering anesthesia there is a possibility of injury .This will cause sore throat and dry cough too.

You can use Robutussin syrup 2tsp twice a day for 5 days and take tablet Claritin twice a day for 5 days. Use a humidifier in the room. Do not smoke or take alcohol during this period. Eat bland food, no oily or spicy food. Do not take any hot beverages. You could use steam inhalation too.

Do not worry it should reduce by a week.

Hope I have answered your query.If you have no further follow ups please accept my answer.