Dry ashy looking area in the vagina. Is this a problem to be treated?

my name is XXXXXXXi have a question i just noticed the outside of my vagina looks very dry ashy looking i guess u could say in some parts and kinda reddish color wrinkly for some reason i dont know how else i could explain it andi was wondering what was the problem why is this happening
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The dry and ashy looking reddish area on the labia and outside the vagina can be due to skin conditions as dermatitis, allergy or infection.

If there is a histry of sexual contact, the possibility of STD can also be suspected.

If the rash is sore, itchy, associated with pain, lump like, burning during urination and has any discharge, then it can be indicative of any infection and requires evaluation.

Sometimes just itching can also be due to fungal infection and requires antifungal creams such as Clotrimazole.

Some measures for you:
1) Apply icepack on the area and then observe for any changes.

2) Apply calamine lotion for relief from itching.

3) Keep the area dry and apply Neosporin powder and 1% Hydrocortisone ointment after consulting your Primary Physician.

If the symptoms persist or associated with discharge etc, then consider visiting your Gynecologist for evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.