Dry and itchy skin on mons pubis, no sores. Thoughts?

May 2013
I am 54 y/o, perimenopausal, lmp 10/11. The skin on my mons pubis has been dry and itching. No sores. It covers about 1inch x 1/4-1/2 inch on either side where the top of the majora labia begins. I have tried lotions, vaseline, hydrocortisone 1%. Nothing takes it away completely. Thoughts?
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

the possible causes for your symptoms are,
-in perimenopausal age group there will be decreased production of estrogen which leads to thinning of external genital structures, dryness and itching etc,

-contact with soaps, hygiene products etc can cause itching.

as you are having around 8 to 9 months of amenorrhea, there is more possibility for estrogen deficiency,
so better consult gynecologist once to get physical examination to find out the cause then with her advice you can go for estrogen cream for local application which will possibly cure the symptoms.
also use mild feminine lotions only with plenty of water to clean genital area.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.