Dry and itchy rash on inner thigh and between buttocks, turning dark on scratching. Taken Aquaphor. Should I use powder instead?

Jul 2012

I have a dry itchy rash on my inner thigh and in between my buttocks about a dime size. It starts out looking like and inflamed mosquito bite. I scratch and therefore it turn dark. I have used Aquaphor and hydrocortisone cream (maximun strength) and it has happened in the last month after intercourse (unprotected with my fiance). I am also taking Benedryl pill. Never had this before. Usually on a stretch XXXXXXX Should I be using powder instead. This is annoying and itches like crazy. I even have to reapply Aquaphor ointment at least once throughout the day. Please advise. Thank you!
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there. I have read the description of your lesions & viewed the photgraphs & at the outset, you have nothing to get stressed about. It appears easily resolved. Dont stop with the aquaphor acts as a moisturiser & in view of your stretch marks & what appears dry skin, may be a viable option in the long run. In the interim, please use a corticosteroid (betamethasone/hydrocortisone butyrate-antifungal(miconazole/clotrimazole) combination cream applied locally twice/daily for 3-5 days & then switch to a plain antifungal cream (eg either 2% ketoconazole or 1% terbinafine molecules) applied topically twice/daily for a further week & this should rid you of this rash. If your partner has similar symptoms, he may use the same creams. It is prudent to add a non-sedative antihistamine (eg fexofenadine 180mg) to this mix once/day for 10 days to control the itch. These items should be available sans prescription from your local chemist/pharmacist. If you desire to start an oral antifungal, then, i suggest you make an appointment with your local dermatologist. Cheers & Good Luck! I hope i have answered your queries in detail & rest assured all will be well in 48 hrs! Do give us a shout & your valuable feedback on this site & close the query...cheers!