Drug user, smoking pot for six years. Wants to do blood drug test. How long will it take for elimination of THC?

My friend has smoked pot for the last 6 years until 3 months ago. He decided to get his life together and quit after a lot of pushing from me. Now he has the opportunity for a new job but they would require a blood drug test. Will he pass? We've read it takes up to 6 months for the THC to leave his system completely but have also read less. Can you please give a solid time frame?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Pot contains cannabis which frequently causes psychological dependence on it after long term use. The major psychoactive chemical compound in cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). It is good that your friend had stopped using it. Keep your friend high in future and having a regular job also helps in avoiding substance use.

After single time use THC detected in body for following hours: Urine (2-3 days), blood (2-3days) and nail (6 months).

After habitual use (like in your friend case), THC is detected in body for following hours: Urine (2-3 Months), blood (2-3 weeks) and nail (6 months).

So stay relaxed, as it is very rare, that they will take sample from nail.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.