Dropped heavy object on foot and have swelling and pain. Not able to bend toes. Applied ice. What to do?

General Surgeon
I dropped a heavy object in he center of the top of my foot. Mild swelling, mild pain, unable to bend toes, when I try to bend my toes there is a lot offing in he arch of my foot. I am putting ice on it. Do I need to be concerned. I am nurse I have to work 12s.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Unfortunately ice might be not enough.
Even if the symptoms does not indicate it, there might be some fractures of your foot.
Our body has a great ability to immobilize injured, broken part so it can get healed. Foot can be easily immobilized by your own body (the pain prevents you from moving it). Sounds simple, but it can also give an information that your foot might be broken.
Pain and swelling can be due to soft tissues trauma, but it can also indicate a fracture.

That is why I`m asking you to visit your doctor and have simple X-ray of your foot done. Otherwise, when the fracture will be left unrecognized, it can leave permanent dysfunction of your foot or the healing process can be much longer.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.