Drop in hemoglobin level, taking Dyter. Can it be due to medicine? Will undergo endoscopy to determine internal blood leakage

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor My Mother's HB has fallen from 11.3 to 5.5 within a month, she has been on dyter medicine for around 40 days. Can we realte the reason directly to this medicine, as now after HB stabilisation she will undergo endoscopy to determine if there is any XXXXXXX blood leakage.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 47 minutes later
Sudden fall of hemoglobin from 11.3 to 5.5 within one month cannot be attributed to Dytor alone. Dytor causes sodium and water excretion out from the body. The water loss may cause hypotension and being anemic might decrease the circulation to vital organs.
Other causes of internal bleeding and sudden blood loss must be explored. Blood transfusion is essential at such low Hb levels.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.