Drooping of upper eyelid. What could be the reason?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
what can cause my vision to seem like my eyelid has closed half-way vision, just a darkened area, and the lower are of my vision stayed normal. This occurred while I was driving, wearing sunglasses, and lasted for three to four minutes, and then disappeared. My first thought was something was causing my right eyelid to droop, and then my left also. It seems to lower to about the mid-point, remain there until clearing up.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Health care magic.

Drooping of upper eyelid is medically termed as ptosis which has many causes,the most common being age related weakening of muscle elevating the eyelid.

This can also be seen when the person is very tired and has not had enough sleep.

Neurological disorders like third cranial nerve palsy and myasthenia gravis are the less common causes.

I suggest a detailed examination by an ophthalmologist to rule out causes for this sudden drooping of eyelids.

If ptosis is confirmed then surgical repair options are available which involve tightening of levator muscle to elevate the eyelid.

I hope I have cleared your doubts.

Please do not hesitate to get back if any more clarifications.