Driving for hours and going for gym. Pain between hip and backbone. Sitting in straight posture. Suggest the precautions?

Hi ,

I work as a software engineer.
I am 6` , weigh 72Kg.

I drive close 2-3 hrs a day, and this is something i`ve been doing since 3 years now.
I gym for an hour in a day, but that`s from last one month.

So telling that, i tend to have a pinch of pain while i get up & get out of the car near my hip or in between hip & backbone.

Talking about posture and & ergonomics, i sit on a hard chair in office, which does not lean back, its a simple chair with rollers on, while in the car , i tend to sit as straight as i possibly can.

Can you please suggest me, is there any precautions that im supposed to be taking & tips that i need to keep in mind.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
X- XXXXXXX pain killers. Ergonomic work place

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

This is a very common problem experiencing by most of the software as well as other office working peoples at least once in a life.

The problem you are having is a lumbar muscle strain.
It is a common Musculo Skeletal Disorder (MSD).

It is a ergonomics related issue.

The Pinched Pain is due to repeated stretch injury and the following spasm of the muscles in the back and hip.

This can be easily avoided by changing the life style and working style.

First thing you have to do is take an X XXXXXXX hip to rule out any bony abnormalities.

Then next step is Back rest without using bed and pillow for 3 days.
Do not take bed rest for more than 3 days.
In addition, take pain killers like diclofenac and muscle relaxants.

If the pain persists, apply heat pad. It can be used for every 4 to 6 hours.

Of all the thing, most important is life style change and ergonomic workplace change.

1. If possible, reduce the driving time.
2. when ever you getting out of car, please first place the leg outside and then balance yourself and get out of the car.
3. Follow Straight back rule ie. Sit in a chair with back straight without leaning forward or backward.
4. Use foot rest in work place. this will help in avoid straining of thigh musles as well as lower back muscles.
5. Keep the regularly and repeatedly using things near. It will help in avoiding bending, twisting, rotating and painful back movements.
6. keep the monitor straight to eyes.

In gym, Please get the help from proper trainer. Because most of the people going to gym does not know the proper technique to lift weight and using other instruments.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.