Drinks and smokes daily. Got liver test done. What are the findings?

Gastroenterologist
Question
sir, my father has these blood tests of liver reports::AST 88, ALT 109, GGTP 321, ALP 115, BILURUBIN TOTAL 0.9, BIL. DIRET 0.7 , BIL. INDIRECT 0.2, TOTAL PROTEIN 5.2 , ALBUMIN 3.1, A:G RATIO 1.48...He drinks a quarter of whiskey daily, AND SMOKES A PACK OF CIGRETTE daily, hence i got his liver tests done,as suggested by a friend, now plz kindly advise me,, what all does it reflect? thanx in advance
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 18 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Is ultrasound scan of the abdomen done?

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Drinks and smokes daily. Got liver test done. What are the findings? 23 hours later
Good morning sir,
After you asked, his USG of abdomen done.
For Liver it says:: Liver is normal in shape with enlarged size and altered fatty echotexture. No focal destruction or mass is present. no I.H.B.D. dilation is present. hepatic veins normal. diaphragm shows normal movements.
OTHERWISE WHOLE report says NORMAL including Gall bladder, pancreas, kidney, spleen,nodes, urinary bladder, prostate.
IMPRESSION: Hepatomegaly with Fatty Liver Grade III.
pls advise.
Also we are not able to convince him for leaving these addictions, pls Suggest something.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
The liver is affected as shown the liver function test.
The first and the foremost thing to do is ask him to quit drinking alcohol.
If he is finding it difficult to stop it you can get the help of a psychiatrist who will help him in quitting it.

Also get his blood glucose and lipid profile test done.
If he is obese, weight reduction should also be done.

I hope that answers you question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Drinks and smokes daily. Got liver test done. What are the findings? 2 days later
Goodaday sir,
further his glucose ( fasting) results are as 95.o mg/dl
Lipid screen, serum:
cholesterol 249 mg/dL;
tryglycerides 150; HDL cholestrol 66; LDL choles. ( calculated) 153; VLDL choles( calculated) 30 MG/dL.
He is reducing his alcohol intake. Will that help?or he has to completely stop drinking. How about giving him Himalaya's Liv.52 ?
Plz advise and summarise.
Thank you a lot.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 12 minutes later
Hi
His blood glucose is normal.
His total cholesterol is slightly on the higher side. He may need medication (discuss with his doctor about it).
He should completely stop drinking alcohol for complete relief.
You can give him Liv 52. But it is not essential.

I hope that answers you question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini