Drinking wine. Got high MCV and MCH level. Will these be reduced after reducing wine?

Jan 2013

I recently got lab results with mcv at 100.4 & mch at 33.8. I drink wine every night. if I stop the wine, will these levels be reduced, & how fast
Also hemoglobin A1C ws 6.0
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 45 minutes later

Increased MCV (normal reference level is 79-93.3 fl) indicates macrocytic red blood cells while MCH is normal (normal reference level is 26.7-31.9).

Macrocytic anaemia is due to deficiency od vitamin B12 and folic acid and frequent excessive use of wine also causes deficiency of vitamins.

So you should take healthy diet with decrease amount of wine and also take multivitamin supplements.

Your Hemoglobin A1c level is normal and indicates normal blood sugar in last 3 months.

Put your query if you have.

Take care,

Dr.Mayank Bhargava