Drinker, elevated AST and ALT

Elevated AST in liver function
I have been a relatively heavy drinker for some years, seldom drunk but always buzzed. Annually I have had CBC's done and the ALT and AST were always normal. A year ago they were AST 29 and ALT 25. This year the turned out to be AST 48 and ALT 28. My doctor has taken me off alcohol for a month and wants to re-do the studies. How concerned do I need to be with these values? Why has it elevated so much during one year? I have no symptoms of liver disease. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 14 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

AST & ALT are the enzymes normally present in the liver. Their secretion is induced by liver injury and are released into the blood. Any liver injury causes the elevation od AST and ALT. Alcohol is a common cause of hepatic injury and any elevation of these enzymes in an alcoholic is considered to be secondary to alcohol unless proved otherwise.

Early in alcohol induced liver injury complete cessation leads to resolution of hepatic inflammation and recovery. Hence keep abstaining and you could enjoy a healthy life.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.