Drink wine sometimes and want to cut off alcohol. Can Vivitrol injection be taken on own?

I am 67, male, and for the past few years have been drinking a bottle, 750ml, of red wine every night. I have some food first, then watch a movie or two while sipping the wine. I really enjoy it but would like to cut alcohol out of my life completely. I am considering getting a Vivitrol injection. If a doctor injects it once a month (I feel one or two will be enough for me), is this something I can do on my own? I do not want to join a group. My liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, they are not all perfect but nothing seriously wrong. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Should be done under professional health personnel Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The recommended dose of vivtrol injection in alcohol de addiction is 380 mg every 4 weeks or once a week in intramuscular injection in the gluteal (buttcok) region. It is used with a complete management programme. The above regimen is done under strict supervision of an health care provider. Therefore I would advise you not to do it on your own because you may not be aware of the side effects with may go unnoticed and carry health risks. So follow the advice of your doctor in this regard. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know it there is any clarification. Regards
Follow-up: Drink wine sometimes and want to cut off alcohol. Can Vivitrol injection be taken on own? 34 minutes later
Every medical place I've tried either doesn't know about these medications and if they do require live-in times. The closest I've visited in Boulder requires a 34 day living-in program! I do not want to "live-in" such a program, but simply the help of a med' that may make abstention a little easier. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Complete management programme. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX As I have mentioned earlier Vivitrol injection is a part of complete de addiction program and not a separate treatment for abstinence of alcohol. You will benefit from this programme only when you receive the complete de-addiction programme. According to me, just vivitrol injection is not going to help the cause. So you need to be enrolled in a de addiction programme under a qualified personal. Regards.