Drew the blood from arm. Noticed soreness in the injected site. What could be causing this?

Infertility Specialist
I had a blood test done on Friday and it was unusually painful when the needle was put in. When the technician switched to the 2nd vial it was so painful that I yelped and she removed the needle. She drew the remainder of the needed blood from my other arm and it was fine. It is now Monday and the site of the first blood draw (left arm) is still sore. I have no swelling or bruising at all. Just a sharp pain sometimes when I straighten or twist that arm and a dull constant ache at that site and somewhat in the bicep.
I'm female and 53 years old. I've had lots of bloodwork in the past but never experienced this before. Right now I'm figuring it will go away with a bit more time but was curious what it might be and whether I need to go see my Dr. or if I can just wait it out.
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 33 minutes later

I presume the technician used the cubital vein in the cubital fossa to draw the blood.

Most probably you may have developed a thrombophlebitis. This could be causing the soreness radiating to the biceps. Occasionally median nerve which is nearby may have been traumatized if she had gone very XXXXXXX resulting in the pain.

But you need not be concerned. Both the conditions heal off in a few days to weeks. You can use heparin- benzyl nicotinate ointment on the site along with over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen for relief. In addition vitamin B12 supplements can be beneficial.

Consult your physician if the above mentioned medication fails to provide you relief.

I hope you found a solution which you looked for. Let me know if there are other concerns.

Follow-up: Drew the blood from arm. Noticed soreness in the injected site. What could be causing this? 4 hours later
Thank you for your reply and explanation. Yes, I believe that was the vein she used, it's the large one on the inside of the arm at the elbow crease. I especially appreciate the guidance on the B12 supplements which may be beneficial. It sounds like it mostly just needs time to heal. I have a couple of related questions:

Is there anything I should watch for as it heals which would indicate I should be concerned and see my physician?

What is thrombophlebitis and what causes it?

Again, thank you for your response.
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 19 hours later
You might be concerned if the site turns reddened and tender to touch. In such a case report to the doctor.
Thrombophlebitis is a inflammation if then veins and the symptoms are as mentioned m earlier.
I think your pain must have reduced by now and nothing to worry.
That suffices.