Drew blood from arm, pumped air into vein by mistake, pain in arm, chest burning

Hi, I just came from the doctor where he drew some blood from the crease in my arm. He injected the syringe and pulled it up to get the blood but none came at the time then he moved around the needle/syringe and pushed it down then after a few seconds pulled it up again to get the blood. I asked him if he just pumped air into my vein and he said no. But my arm is hurting and my chest area is burning slightly. Should I be worried?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

Many a time, one may not be able to draw blood from the veins at the first shot. It is common for the health care professional to face such problems and a second try turns out to be successful.

Since you got this done from a professional(doctor), I am sure that he would be well versed about the procedure.It is a simple procedure. As he has assured you that nothing has gone wrong,I feel you need not have to worry about it. Next thing amount of air that can leak into the veins from a syringe is so minimal to cause any kind of symptoms.

Some amount of pain , local irritation and redness is common after drawing of blood. They will subside in a couple of days.

The burning in the chest area could just be a coincidence.

You may consult the doctor if you get symptoms like shortness of breath,severe itching,severe pain at the area,rashes all over the body, these are alarming symptoms.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well