Dreaming all night. Had taken 5 HTP for depression. Could it be serotonin syndrome?

Hello doctor, i started 50mg 5 HTP yesterday morning, for mild anxiety and mild depression which i dont know is situational or chemical.(i have been binge drinking alcohol since many months and now soberly recovering) However my overall mood has lifted a bit as it has lowered my excessive thinking. However last night i had very vivid dreams and lucid dreams. I wanted to know, is it possible for a dose as small as 50mg to create serotonin syndrome ? Is 50mg 5 HTP XXXXXXX ? Should i continue the medicine ?
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 3 hours later
Thanks for your query. 5 hydroxy tryptamine is usually used as an augmentation agent with other antidepressants for faster action. Just 50 mg of the drug is unlikely to result in serotenergic syndrome and can be continued safely. However if you had started the drug on your own I would advise you consult a psychiatrist for starting a primary antidepressant like ssri group of drugs as it is uncommon to be only on 5ht drug without an antidepressant. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar