Drank red wine. Got fever. Blood lipid panel test done. Reason for elevated value?

Hi I just received my blood lipid panel results. My GGT numbers were high (129), I take 20 mg. crestor, 160 mg. diovan & 300 Mg. metoprolol daily. I have been drinking a glass of red wine maybe 4 or 5 times a week. I also was running a fever of 102 during the blood draw (ear & sinus infection). Could the infection or the wine be a cause for the elevated number?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 27 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your health concerns.

GGT or gamma glutaryl transpeptidase is an inducible liver enzyme, meaning that its expression (levels) can increase with higher workload; it is involved in the metabolism of alcohol, so I suspect the wine would be the main reason. As a matter of fact, we measure that enzyme in patients considered for liver transplant to see whether they are consuming alcohol or not.

Hope this helps with your query, wish you the best health,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic Rochester