Drank harpic toilet cleaner. Not going to hospital. What will be the effect?

Hi , My friend just taken harpic toilet cleaner and she also refusing to go to hospital.
What would be the effect ??
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

The household toilet cleaner Harpic contains hydrochloric acid (~10%) as the active ingredient, along with butyl oleylamine. Hydrochloric acid in the cleaner is what causes the symptoms of poisoning. Well, it’s a less violent acid comparatively. It does not cause serious damage to any of the vital organs but can damage the mucus membrane in the stomach causing bleed

Since the contents are corrosive in nature, stomach wash can be harmful. So do not try inducing vomiting; instead you can give her syp gelusil 5 to 10ml immediately. However please do not wait because your friend refuses to go to the hospital. Take her to the emergency room as soon as possible even by force - as a life is more important and precious than any other thing.

A controlled stomach wash may be attempted at the hospital. She would then need to be monitored for a day or two for any bleeding and treated accordingly. In addition intravenous antibiotic can be started to prevent infection.

Your friend needs immediate medical attention to rule out any serious adverse effects of Harpic on his body. Though there is no specific antidote to the hydrochloric acid poisoning but medications to reduce acidity in stomach are must.

Recovery is good and there would be no after effects of this poisoning, but please rush to the hospital at the earliest so that the treatment can begin immediately.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

I wish a safe recovery of your friend.

Dr Sourav Ganguly