Drank cat claws, RBC virus attached, platelets down, blocked marrow bones, prednisone, shack liver oil, psoriasis. Suggestion?

my gf drank cat's claws after having un unknown virus for 20 days cuz the virus attacted her red blood cells and her blood level was at 5 than after taking cat's claw it become 12, but after 20 days with a negative result of virus, her platelets went down becuase the cat's claws blocked her marrow bones but doc didn't think it was the reason. so after she went to the hosp her platelet level was 13 doc gave her dexamethasone the next day for four days when her test came back the result was negative. doc wanted to give her prednisone but instead she started to take shack liver oil. her platelets level went 236. she have psoriasis too. doc. don't know what is really happening.... what should she do?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Viral infections do cause a fall in the platelet count and suppress the bone marrow thus decreasing the production of platelets and other blood cells.
You girl friend had a myelosuppression after a viral infection which caused decreased hemoglobin and platelets.
After the infection subsided, and with the help of steroid treatment, the bone marrow again starts working normally and then both hemoglobin and the platelet counts improved.
Drinking cat's claws is not likely to cause such an acute myelosuppression until there is an acute allergic reaction associated with it.
I would advise you to follow your doctor's instructions and take prednisolone until her blood counts come back to normal.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Drank cat claws, RBC virus attached, platelets down, blocked marrow bones, prednisone, shack liver oil, psoriasis. Suggestion? 20 hours later
Hi doctor thank you for your reply.
She is taking the prednisone 20mg, but since yesterdy afternoon, she feels fever that come and go and she swets a lot. and she did a full body ct scan and the doctors said that they saw something at her uterus but they don't know what it is and that was two month ago, and after repeating that same ct san a few days ago, and when she asked them what it is they keep telling her that they don't know and they will come to that. and four days ago the doctor tell her that she must do an ultrasound scan but they postopone it and she was send home after that with the prednisone. and she must return on monday for the ultrasound scan. I really don't know what is going on. they thougt that it can be XXXXXXX sindrome but the marrow bone test she made (a needle from the chest to her backbone on a low level platelet) was negative and their was no sign of any antibodies that could be attacking her blood cells. and she also have some two seconds pain that come and go at her legs, left breast, and in her back and also headache but the doctor tell her that he don't know what that is.

Thanks for writing again.

The uterine swelling that has been found on the CT scan can only be confirmed after an ultrasound scan for which she is already scheduled.

Regarding the non specific pains in the body with mild fever - these symptoms seem more like a generalised viral syndrome.

Ask her to support her body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system, which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement her diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing your friend a trouble free speedy recovery.