Drank a lot of vodka. Feeling nausea, headache and pain in upper abdomen. Should I go for treatment?

General Surgeon
I drank a lot of vodka last Saturday, 7 days ago. Most of my adult life, I have not drank much. But over the last year I have been drinking at least once per week with some month long breaks in between. I had a blood test about five months ago which showed my liver enzymes to be very slightly elevated. On Saturday, I woke up and was nauseated with bad headache. Felt better the next day, but I am still having some pain in my upper abdomen. It is tolerable. As long as I rest. Will the pain go away on its own? Should I be seen by a doctor? BM and urinating are fine. No fever. BP is normal. Pulse normal.
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 16 minutes later

You seem to be suffering from gastritis which exaggerated on alcohol consumption. You may take proton pump inhibitors (PPI) for a week or so, on empty stomach. PPI is available over the counter as prilosec OTC, you may take this. Also take non spicy and non fatty food.

Try this for a week.

Hopefully it should help. If the problem persists consult a physician near you.
Do let me know if you have any more questions.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Dr. Rajat Gupta