Drank 100ml of bathroom cleaner phenyl. Stable after 6hrs. Drank water, vomited few times. Having headache. Risk? Precaution?

Adult by mistake drank 100ml of bathroom cleaner phenyl thinking as cold drink..stable even after 6hours , drank 3 glass of water after 15/20mins , vomited couple of times and had headache fine but is there any risk ? what are precaution any remedies suggested...
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query.

As you have said that you have taken accidentally phenyl ( bathroom detergent ) , you are stable after 6 hours , drank water , vomited with headache .

Phenyl contains acid ( sulphuric acid) and thats get absorbed fast.

MOstly and intially there is superficial layer of burning sensation in throat , but as you have vomited alot and drank water too , to neutralize it , so the damage will be minimum.

Phenyl acid takes less than 40 seconds to get absorbed through the food tube and stomach and initially it shows no symptoms , the symptoms start to develop after 12 -18 hrs .

The acid that phenyl contains , does not show any damage in the start , but after 24 hours , it shows the main problem , like erosions , mild hemorrhage and in some cases perforation.

Endoscopy after 24 hours is a MUST after phenyl ingestion , just to see whats happening inside food tube and stomach.

I have seen a lot of patients with phenyl ingestion.

And i would strongly recommend to go to ER or Gastroenterologist for endoscopy + heavy dose of stomach coaters like ( omeprazole ) .

Drink water + milk till you go to your doctor, as they also make a stomach coating.

I hope, I was helpful to you.

Feel free to ask any further questions.

Follow-up: Drank 100ml of bathroom cleaner phenyl. Stable after 6hrs. Drank water, vomited few times. Having headache. Risk? Precaution? 21 hours later
Thanks for your reply..she drank only a very small quantity (less than 100ml) of home cleaner phenyl@6pm yday and fine from this morning...there is no other symptoms yet except little weakness yday night and this that is gone too with no other complain..looks absolutely fine , taking proper food n doing all normal there any further reason to get concerned..wat further precaution to take -if any ...
Answered by Dr. Omer 4 hours later
Hello again,

Thankyou for understanding.

I am happy to learn that she is fine , and i think its been more than 24 hrs , SO NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT NOW.

If she has not vomited till now , no nausea , no black stools , no upper abdomen pain , no dizziness , THEN NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

Keep on observing her for next 24 hrs more , if above symptoms do not occur , no need to go to ER.

Just follow the precautions I told you above , and everything will be fine.

Wishing you health and happiness.

Take care,