Drainage coming from back of the roof of the mouth. Have had sinus surgery done. Looking for solution

ENT Specialist
Question
I have a drainage coming from the right side of soft pallet part in the back part of the roof of my mouth it is worse after I brush my teeth and I have a constant film on the right side of my mouth, I had sinus surgery 12 years ago and during the surgery the doctor placed a small wafer thisplastic like piece into my lower cheek area where he said there was some erosion fromsimusmdrainage and that the skin would grow over it. I am wondering if that could have broken loose or deteriorated to cause the drainage to come down into the divet in the top of the roof of my mouth The drainage I am experiencing is on the same side. I have a constant film on the right side of my mouth
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

According to the description given by you, it is very unlikely that there can be any opening from the sinus cavity into the soft palate. In fact, that would have been true in case the drainage into the oral cavity was from the hard palate. Hard palate forms the basal part of the maxillary sinus and the soft palate is a free piece of mobile tissue.

I presume the drainage is either a post nasal drip or the cheesy material from the tonsillar crypts. The former usually happens in those individuals who are having sinus related problems and the latter in those individuals whose tonsillar crypts are wide and XXXXXXX Either of these can be confirmed only after a clinical examination.

1. The treatment of the post nasal drip is:
A. Saline spray followed by steam inhalation
B. Consuming plenty of warm water
C. Mucolytics (such as bromhexine or ambroxol) for reducing the viscosity of the
secretions.
2. The treatment for expulsion of the cheesy material from the tonsillar crypts is:
A. Drinking plenty of water
B. Regular throat gargles with plain water after taking food

Finally, the biofilm formation over the buccal mucosa is a normal phenomenon and usually increases in the presence of irritative substances such as tooth paste, hot beverages, coffee, etc.

Hope this answers your query; if you are still not convinced, please mail us the photographs so that we can give you the exact diagnosis.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Drainage coming from back of the roof of the mouth. Have had sinus surgery done. Looking for solution 9 hours later
can drainage occur from the hard pallet into the oral cavity?

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, occasionally there can be an anomalous tract connecting the floor of the sinus and the roof of the oral cavity, which is termed as oro-antral fistula. In that condition there can be sinus secretions seen trickling through the roof of the oral cavity due to gravity.

Oroantral fistula commonly occurs following dental extraction (upper molar and premolar tooth). The other causes include infection, cancer, injury following surgical procedures and trauma.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon